Friday, August 20, 2010

Settling

Yesterday, as I was walking home from orientation, I began to feel like Chicago is starting to be my home. As I got nearer to my apartment I realized I will be able to live here just fine... until it snows.. then we'll see how I feel. Moving made me go through all of my things and start picking out what I will be getting rid of. This blog has forced me to look at things in a way I wouldn't usually look at them. I am now a useability shopper. I know, that's not a word, but what I am trying to say is that when I look at something in the store, or online, I think first what I would use it for. If it seems even the slightest bit useless, I don't want to get it any more (because then I will have to get rid of it). I still have a small pile of things I want to get rid of in the next few weeks, but as that dwindles down I am beginning to wonder what item that I care about will be the first to go? It is nice getting rid of things, forcing myself to not want things I do not need, but I have been eyeing all of my possessions with a new look. As I missed yesterday (this seems to be more of a trend, maybe I'll start blogging every other day and just get rid of two things at a time) I will get rid of two things today. The bedroom I have in Chicago is smaller than any other bedroom I've ever had, but it is just the right size. My bed fits perfectly between the two walls, I could even fit a small next to it, and the closet holds my (tiny) supply of clothes perfectly. It makes me not want to get any more, it makes me want to get rid of things even. Perhaps I would have started this blog when I got here anyway.

Today, I will get rid of a pair of workout shorts that my mom recently gave me (shh) because they are the item of clothes I am least likely to use any time soon, and a purse that Linh (Rick's ex roommate) gave to me after a trip to Vietnam. I love gifts, but these two are things I will not use as
often as I could, and therefore are taking up more space than they are worth in my tiny room. Living in such a small apartment is reinforcing my idea that small living spaces are actually better for you. They allow you to expand only to a reasonable level, and not collect furniture and items that you need to store that do not get used as often as would be ideal. Apartment Therapy (a blog I read obsessively) even has a competition about small living spaces and how people deal with it. I do think I would want a giant kitchen, and the rest of the house can be tiny.
My roommate and I are, however, looking for a couch. And I wonder, how does a person, without any contacts, and without a vehicle, transport a couch by themselves to a second floor apartment? I guess I will have to enlist the help of at least my roommate if I find a good one. On a side note about the apartment, I still have not gotten my mattress yet, but according to the website it is en route! I guess only a few more nights on the floor.. or maybe UPS loves me and will bring it tomorrow? I'll keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment