Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A few things

So, I missed yesterday, no real surprise, Mondays are our day to watch "Lie to Me" with Diane and we always stay later than we planned. She just got back from a trip to my home, so she had plenty of stories about my mom and grandma to fill the commercial times. I miss going home often, not that I even did that my freshman year of college, but it was nice to be able to go home on every school break, and stay for the entirety of winter break and just be lazy... not that I'm super productive here. My Facebook addiction has finally reached its full potential, luckily I have a smart phone now so I can check it no matter where I am! I realized that I move to Chicago in less than two weeks, and I haven't even really begun my mental preparation for it. I am always a nervous mover, especially when I am moving to a city where I don't know that many people. Luckily my housing situation is figured out (I hope) and I have emailed my new bosses and will hopefully be prepared to start classes...not that I even remember what those classes are now, it's been so long since I registered.
With regards to todays items that I will be getting rid of. I am not a big makeup wearer, and I
never have been. I tried, but it only lasted for about two days. I usually have time in the morning, but I feel like people who wear makeup have to always wear makeup. The one day they don't is the day we all decide they look sick. It makes me realize what a difference common practices make in your appearance. Without having seen most of the celebrities with makeup on, they might look just normal without. But pulling up pictures from an article I skimmed recently about "stars without makeup" they all look sickly next to their fancied pictures. I realize that these pictures have been doctored by the journalist as well, but it holds true for every day people as well. I have a friend who wears makeup every day, but I've seen her without her foundation and mascara on and she looks ill, sad, and tired. Not because she is, or has bad skin, or even boring eyes, but because I have come to expect her eyes to pop as much as her
mascara will allow, and her skin to seem flawless. Those extra minutes dedicated to putting makeup on every morning force the person into a cycle of wearing makeup and refining it to look the most natural, while still adding enough spice to their face to make them not look tired. I have never worn makeup and when I do put mascara on I get more compliments than a normal day. If this became commonplace for me, the shock of a little mascara would wear off and I would eventually end up with practically drag queen makeup to get some bit of extra beauty for a night out. So today I will be getting rid of a mirror from Sephora. It was given to me with a gift card for some foundation for Christmas. Not because I needed the makeup, but this was from when I decided to wear makeup....I still have that foundation, I've used it a few times. So I will be getting rid of this rarely used mirror as a symbol of my lack of beauty desires.

The second item, to make up for lost time, is a coffee table book. This
book, one of many display books I own, was given to me by an ex boyfriend (at the time we were dating). Called "Unuseless Japanese Inventions," this book has added humor to many conversations in my home. As a grad student I don't need coffee table books, I will have enough textbooks crowding my room and bookcase. This book will hopefully provide a few laughs and some color to someone else's home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment