Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Holidays

Freshman year of college I was terrified I would feel lonely during the holidays. Thanksgiving I went out of my way to find someone to spend the weekend with. A few of my friends offered to let me go with them, but luckily my cousin was willing to take me with her to her father's farm and even to her inlaws place and I jumped on the opportunity to spend the weekend with family. My aunt from Austin is often out of town for Thanksgiving weekend at a conference so I spent the time with the other side of the family. Every year since then I found a way to have at least one Thanksgiving dinner with my cousin (she usually has three as her parents are divorced and her inlaws want to see her as well) and I enjoy my time. Each year I have been reminded of my first year with her. The farm was fun..even though they all joked about me attending UT instead of A&M and the town was about as Texas as they come. Meeting my cousin in laws family also allowed me a break from the every day. Holidays always do and I think they are provided to us for just that reason. Every once in a while we have to be able to step out of our normal lives to understand how comfortable they are for us upon our return to them.
Anyway, my blog is not about family and holidays but about getting rid of unwanted or not necessary items. After Thanksgiving my first year in college I took home left overs (mostly mashed potatoes and turkey if I remember correctly) in this tupperware. Since then I have used this for food of my own, and always intended to return it to it's owner. My cousin definitely does not need any more storage containers in her house and this was an old one, but I still feel bad borrowing and not returning....however, with the scratches in one corner, the fact that I have had it for almost 5 years and she does not have room for this one in her cabinets I think it is safe to say I can throw this tupperware away without feeling bad about it.
But how am I going to spend Thanksgiving when I am in Chicago!?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.1

No comments:

Post a Comment