Sunday, August 1, 2010

The best

Sometimes in life you find the best. Whether it is the best ice cream flavor, best route during rush hour, best friend, or best book. All of these things are subjective of course, but some can be shared. Usually the best, and I do mean absolute best, of anything shapes a peroson's life. For me, the best book was The Stand. In sixth grade I carried this book around like it was my one prized possesion. After a month of heavy reading I finished the book. Since then I have been a Stephen King addict. The Stand allowed me to discover myself...or who I thought I was as a twelve year old. After finishing the story and developing close bonds with each character I was left with a new part inside but also an emtiness because our lives (the characters and mine) were now separated. I read It later and again connected with the children, cried when someone died and rejoiced when the evil was finally taken down. I still have a secret spot in my heart and if Stu or Ben or any other character were to walk into my life I would take them in like family.
In college I left my copy of The Stand behind, but grabbed the opportunity to buy a hard bound copy when I saw a cheap version in a thrift store while browsing. Years later I still haven't reread this book, though I used parts of it in my college entrance essays and always plan to start back in at that slow day when the car ran into the pump at the gas station... Of course Stephen King is a highly produced author. His works span the nation and can be found for mere pennies in some stores. Finding a copy of any of his books only requires a few minutes and the will to look.
If this book was the exact copy that I called my Bible for almost a month...maybe even two...in sixth grade it might not be moving this early. I know if I need a copy of this I can find a copy of this...therefore I will let this one go. Bests move in and out of your life, and some only change. But most of the time they are remembered forever.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.4.9

No comments:

Post a Comment