Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unfinished projects.




This weekend I helped a friend work on her condo. We put up greenwall and concrete walls in the shower that she plans to tile next weekend. I have always wanted to redo an apartment or house but have never had the chance, so of course I jumped on the opportunity this summer. While the shower is a lot of work and seems a lot harder than the bath tub her boyfriend and father were working on in the other bathroom I think the work will pay off with a gorgeous full-size shower. Sydney and I left just before the concrete was mixed to pour into the botom but next weekend we will be able to see how it ended up and get to start the finalization process. I realize now that projects always take more time then originally planned for them. Luckily, a condo that will be lived in starting in August must be finished unlike many of my own crafty projects.

Years ago I started a quilt. I always wanted to quilt, the end result is beautiful and it seems like a good way to get your mind off of what is around you. Usually when I am streesed I am too busy to take the time to work on a quilt, surprisingly, I almost finished one....but have not worked on it for over two years. Because of this, I will throw away this unfinished, poor-quality project I always intended to finish. The tree design is made up of many different prints of fall colors and the trunk of different browns. The best part was picking out thhe fabrics and slowly making a plan for how it would turn out. Each different print was picked out over a period of a month and cut into small squares that I sewed together in strips which I then sewed together and even connected the back of the quilt and started quilting...that was where my ambition failed me. I moved back to Austin where it took me a month to find a sewing machine and by then I was busy wih friends, work, and school. Too busy to sew. Collecting dust in my closet, hiding in my old suitcases, and being moved from apartment to apartment, my quilt has finally found its way back into the front of my life. This time to be removed forever. I still struggle with this idea as I know the fabric is all high quality fabric and the hours I spent sewing each piece is now wasted if I never finish the work...but I won't ever finish, only because I know I have no willpower to work on crafty projects for long enough. Goodbye dreams of being a patient quilter. Goodbye bright fall colors. Goodbye soft fabrics. And goodbye hours of work spent over a sewing machine. I wish I would complete you, but since I haven't touched you in 2 years it is time to accept that my patience wih that sort of thing will never beat my desire to be active for the hours I could spend working on crafts.

Maybe I should buy a house to redo, that combines active and crafts.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.4.8

No comments:

Post a Comment