Monday, July 26, 2010

Growing Up

I remember thinking that I could never put contacts in. Not only did they seem like such a grown-up thing, but also, who wants to touch their eyeball every day? Gross.
I started wearing glasses around first or second grade, I don't remember which. With my dad's insurance I could get one new pair of glasses a year so I never hesitated to do just that. I had old glasses for years even though my prescription changed every year. I remember my first glasses were round brown ones, I thought they were cute...at the time. When I moved into junior girl scouts I got turquoise colored ones, not that I was obsessed with girl scouts, that's just how I recall those glasses. Over the years the frames got smaller and more fancy. Since high school I stopped getting new frames every year and my prescription has also settled into an almost constant spot, but I still remember the days of spending an hour trying on every pair of glasses at the optometrists office.
In high school, I also realized it was time to grow up and get a pair of contacts, which meant I had to choose between contacts and frames because our insurance only covered one new one per year. I never really got used to contacts, there was too much maintenance involved with making sure I kept them clean and protected my eyes etc...etc.. Luckily I have decent vision without correction so I can get by with neither glasses nor contacts when I'm too lazy to deal with them. Still I keep a supply of contacts handy for running (sometimes...usually I just run blind, if you can't really see where you're going how can you tell how far you've run?) and going out clubbing with friends. I tried to wear contacts every day for a while and that was successful for about a year. My current job requires me to look at a computer screen the whole time, which leads to dried out lenses and I was never very good about only wearing them for ten hours a day. The end result of both of those situations is irritated eyes. I still try to wear them occasionally, but rarely for an entire day.
Last time I wore my contacts downtown I woke up the next morning with blood-shot eyes and a red ring around the iris of my eyes....not really a good sign. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a drinker and I always take the time to remove my contacts after a long night of partying. The redness in my eyes had something to do with the contacts. Most bacterial infections from contacts are because of contaminated cleaning fluid so out went that bathroom clutter. I still haven't worn contacts since (it has only been two weeke or so) but Sydney did buy me a new lens case (probably the coolest one I've had) and some new cleaning fluid. Today I throw out my old contaminated lensee and cases, cases I have way too many of, and opt to save only one case with the new cleaner. I will start with a new set of contacts when I wear them next. Hopefully the infection is not a permanent one that will require me to wear glasses instead of contacts forever....although I do like to pick out new frames, so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.4.8

No comments:

Post a Comment