Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Minimalism

First, I'm going to say I haven't written in a while. It's been a busy week, and I've been rethinking my priorities with this blog. I do think getting rid of things I no longer use, or that are not important to use is important, but I am starting to realize that using the things I have, even if I could buy one thing to replace three, is more minimalistic in a sense, than getting rid of those three things to buy another. So while I will continue to get rid of things, and post them up here when I do, I will try to think more about how I can use what I have to do things that I would usually want another item for. For one quick example, I did go buy these, but today I wanted to make cupcakes, but there is no muffin pan in the house, so I had to go buy one. First I shopped around and checked out prices, but eventually I realized that muffin pans are really one of those items that you can only use for one thing, but ramekins are like little bowls that can be used for ice cream, pinch bowls, who knows what else, and baking cupcakes! They are a little larger than traditional cupcake pans, and in the future I will fill them less and maybe put in two loads of ramekin cupcakes, but today I made (the most amazing) cupcakes ever in ramekins, that I can now use as any number of things, and they are a lot easier to store as they stack into the cabinets very nicely. Also, 8 only cost me $6, and they are pretty!

I did however go through a few days trying to widdle my things down to 100 things to follow in this guys footsteps so to speak: http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html.
I thought about it, and as it is I only have about 12 shirts, and I only wash clothes every two weeks, while his schedule seems to be every one week, I started counting my things, and with my furniture, clothes, bathroom stuff, etc, I only have about 210 items (I'm not sure of the exact number any more) and I could reasonably get rid of about 30 or 40 items and not affect my way of life, so I will get rid of some of these items, others I will keep for sentimental reasons, and I
will continue to try to reduce my item count over time. So today, I get rid of a large number of things, not only because I haven't written in over a week (I'm not such a good blogger) but because I think getting rid of things while I am in the mood for it is easier than holding onto things that I want to get rid of just so I can wait until the next day to blog about it. That is another thing I have had problems with with this blog, I want to get rid of a large pile of things at a time, so maybe I will write about piles of things more rarely, but I will be downsizing my life, but not forcing myself into anything. But on the thought of 100 items a day, I will still try to not get anything that I do not need, and I may include my unusual uses for things I already own in my blog, when I attempt to make-do with an unconventional items to get a job done.
Also, make cupcakes, they make everyone feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment